Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mint Condition - 7 Album Review


It is hard for me to sit here and write this review for a group that has been stellar and consistent in their craft for more than 20 years! Not hard that I think they are not appealing now but hard for me to imagine that time certainly does fly by. The release of their 7th studio album coincidentally called "7" shows us why this band (yes band) has been able to survive and inspire for the past 20 years. This album is some sort of a reunion for die-hard Mint Condition fans with the return of Keri Lewis. The album is laced with 11 tracks that show you the growth that the group has made over the years. Those of you hoping to hear smooth melodic slow jams that made you fall in love with them years ago, you have another thing coming. There are some very funk ladened tracks on here that showcases Stokely's very distinguished voice. Tracks like "I Want It" and "I Can Ease The Pain" are reflective of that statement. In a day in time in music where real musicianship is either a lost art or just totally forgotten Mint Condition shows us that it is still alive and well. Songs like "Caught My Eye" and "Not My Daddy"(co-written by Kelly Price), show us a glimpse of the past that made us all fall in love with this group 20 years ago. My suggestion is that you put this album on right now and just close your eyes and let MC take you to a place where all you need to do is  just relax and relate.

https://sites.google.com/site/stretchsworld/Not_My_Daddy.mp3
https://sites.google.com/site/stretchsworld/Caught_My_Eye.mp3

No comments: