Thursday, July 31, 2008

Maiysha--A Breath of Fresh Air


July 30, 2008 will go down as the day I saw a musical savior! Yes, I know that is a really big thing to say about someone, but trust me when I say that this sista can carry the torch. Her name is Maiysha. Write that down, take a picture, embed it into your memory because you don't want to forget her.

I went out to see her at Tillman's in NYC for a showcase and to be honest I didn't know what to expect. I do admit I am very picky when it comes to music being that I know the sounds and styles that appeal to me. So as I'm sitting at the table with some network and label friends waiting for Maiysha to grace the stage, I take in the intimate spot that is Tillman's. It is a great venue for a showcase for an artist to shine or at least attempt to shine. The band began to play this funky jam that had me bobbing my head to the beat. The background singers began vamping a bit when all of a sudden this statuesque woman in a black dress with tassels a la' Tina Turner came confidently to the stage. She stood there and took in the room and began to sing. At this point my eyes were fixated on her in that dress. She had legs for days and I had that look on my face from when you were a kid and you got caught looking or doing something you were not suppose to do! But when I heard her sing I quickly got myself together and was drawn in from her voice! Maiysha not only was shining she was glowing!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=58183314

Maiysha can S-I-N-G! I believe that is an understatement to describe this woman and her talents. This woman represents a whole lot more. When I was at Yahoo Music, I created a station dedicated to artists such as Maiysha called "Soul Revival" and she is the epitome of what that station represents. Artists like her, Eric Roberson, Conya Doss, Alice Smith, Amp Fiddler and Rashaan Patterson are truly what makes music a beautiful source of comfort.

Soul Revival Station http://music.yahoo.com/launchcast/stations/station.asp?i=46745645

Maiysha is hands down a beautiful woman--remember my eyes did get stuck looking at her. LOL. But she also exudes confidence, strength, sensuality and that sure star-power when she is on the stage singing. Her vocals and lyrical content are so on point. I couldn't think of who she reminds me of which may be a good thing since that means she defines her own style and sound. Her set included songs that represented soul, rock, progressive, funk and a hint of reggae. Maiysha is like "31 Flavors" with the different genres in her repertoire. She even has a cover of former Genesis lead-singer Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer." She puts her own flavor and touch on it that makes it work from a woman's perspective. I know I was yelling towards the end of the song, "Hit me! Please hit me!"

Watch a live performance of her song "Chase" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKY5vI4CD_w

I love finding or being introduced to new artists and Maiysha is no exception. I know she will flourish in this game we call music. She has the entire package but most importantly she can sing and sing from the soul. In today's age of Pro Tools, voice enhancing tools and just plain no talent, Maiysha is again that breath of fresh air. I know with her in the business; music will still thrive and prosper.

Watch a live performance of her first single "Wanna Be" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTlxloaM0m0

Make sure to cop her album when it drops on August 26th, entitled "This Much Is True."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denisio Truitt said...

I like your blog! Good Stuff!

Anonymous said...

I was also @ that showcase and agree wholeheartedly about Maiysha's talent! Her version of Sledgehammer was one of the best covers I've EVER seen/heard!

Black Maybe said...

I definitely have to check her out.